Dates & Pay:
If you have always wanted to spend the summer in a cozy cabin in the woods, this may be for you! If you love cooking for others in an intimate and relaxed environment, become our kitchen manager at Birchwood Wilderness Camp and spend your summer in the great outdoors!.
Birchwood is a nine week all-boys program set at the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness of northern Minnesota. Our goal is to use the hard skills acquired through wilderness experience, like padding a canoe and setting up a campsite, as a vehicle for soft skills like confidence, communication, and self discovery.
While all of our campers are out camp part of the week there will be campers in camp Friday nights through Wednesday mornings, which is where our kitchen team comes in!
Our kitchen staff are highly respected here at Birchwood and worshiped by our campers. Friday through Wednesday, our kitchen staff serve three meals each day. Breakfast is served at 8am, lunch at 12:30pm, and dinner at 5:30pm. Wednesday after breakfast until dinner prep begins on Friday is our kitchen staff's time to enjoy the Northwoods.
This is not a normal kitchen job. With the help of a second cook and kitchen assistant, mainly for cleaning up, we are very flexible on how we get the job done. Our campers are our first concern, but our staff are a very close second. We value your experience at BWC and want you to have a rewarding and fulfilling summer.
- June 3rd - August 7th, with option to stay through August 17th.
- $750 per week, room and board included
- Overseas kitchen staff and report directly to Camp Directors
- Plan nutritionally balanced meals (in accordance with state regulations and food licensing) leveraging our years of menus already documented.
- Prepare and submit weekly food order based on planned menus
- Prepare three meals per day for 60 campers and staff with the help of a cook and assistant.
- Work with the Camp Director to respond to special dietary needs of participants
- Clean and prepare food service areas for use and inspection
- Makes use of leftover food in meal preparations as appropriate and safe to minimize waste.
- Culinary training and/or experience
- Knowledge of standards of food preparation, serving and kitchen procedures
- Successful applicants need to have a real love of the Northwoods and be willing to adapt, be flexible, and work well with others